Monday, May 19, 2014

The Calm Down Plan

The Calm Down Plan

"How can I help my child when she's having a tantrum" is probably the most popular question that comes my way. We've all been there haven't we? Frustrated, angry, stressed and about to implode. There are healthy ways to deal with tough feelings. I think we use the word "tantrum" when describing a young child coming unglued but really tantrums can occur at any age. It's mostly about when and how you develop a self-sufficient plan to calm down, that tantrums ease. 

We practice emergency plans because we know that during an emergency the intensity of the situation requires quick action. My advice is that you create a calm down plan so you have specific actions in place to help whenever needed. An example can be: "When I'm angry instead of screaming and throwing things I will (do something active outside) (listen to music) (talk to a friend). Keep the calm down plan simple and role-play it to help your child practice. Next time your child gets upset remind her/him about the plan and allow them space to get to a better place on their own. You now have an empowered child! 

Be Happy, Be Healthy!

Aysha Hagene, LCPC

No comments:

Post a Comment